Dry Area & Wet Area Kinon application for Sheetrock & Backer Board
- Apply your drywall or backer boards per manufacturer guidelines. Make certain your surface is flat without excessive voids. Voids can lead to gaps between the Thin-Set Mortar and the surface of the Kinon.
- Cut and store Kinon on flat clean surfaces free of debris.
- Cut Kinon using laminate grade saw blades and router bits to desired shapes and dimensions.
- Wipe clean the back of your Kinon surface prior to adhering with isopropyl alcohol (>70%), allow to evaporate.
- When applying with Thin-Set Mortar always ensure you have RedGard coating on the back of the Kinon Ultra Cast panel. If the Kinon panel is a light color, apply White Latex Primer to back of the panel prior to applying RedGard coating. If you would like Kinon manufacturing to provide the panels pre-coated speak with your Kinon Rep for pricing and availability.
- Apply Thin-set Mortar to sheetrock or drywall using a notch trowel. Most applications will utilize a 1/4 V notch, however use your discretion depending on the area of application.
- Check to make certain you have a even coat of RedGard coating on the back of the panel prior to mixing the mortar. Additionally NEVER use water with your Mortar. ONLY USE LATEX BONDING AGENT!
- Make certain that you press your Kinon thoroughly with an appropriate heavy-duty extendable roller as shown in the video. This type of roller can be purchased from our website or in any large construction box store. Tape your joints together as needed to aid in leveling transitions. Use non aggressive painter’s tape.
- In wet areas you must apply silicone sealant at the joints. Choose your own appropriate color. Prior to applying wait 7 days after adhering the panel as the mortar needs to breathe to dry completely.
- Before applying Thin-set Mortar or Mastic Adhesive insure that you read their manufacturing recommendations for proper environment conditions and application. In any questionable environment apply a test section in the space that is being applied.
- Use termination details as you desire. Schulters are a great option.
- Please watch video to see installation steps as described. Additional videos demonstrate the incredible bond strength of thin-set mortar with Kinon, as well as polishing and cleaning for simple maintenance of your Kinon surfaces.
*For further questions please call your Kinon Sales Representative